The Basic Path to Health
And How to Get There
The World Health Organization defines it as: “a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.” What is yours? Does it include being thin, having a healthy BMI, being in shape, having physical strength, eating healthy, feeling good, being active, and/or being happy, among others.
Given todays’ lifestyles and demands, this seems almost impossible, doesn’t it? It’s not. Having experienced health/life contrast myself and now healthier physically, mentally, spiritually, emotionally and socially, I believe it can be for all. It’s not about being in constant perfect balance, peak health and endless bliss (though that sounds wonderful, it’s hard to achieve and maintain), it is about having resilience and being better equipped to handle what life presents you, an ever-evolving human, work-in-progress.
I found that health is not just about weight, or a “number” per se, it is about taking care of the WHOLE person – mind, body and spirit, to feel great, to be your best self. Through a series of small changes, that path to health includes:
- Eating healthy
- Moving/exercising the body
- Caring for and feeding the mind for personal and professional growth
- Healthy relationships: self, higher power/spiritual, friends; a fun healthy social life
- Getting restorative sleep and managing stress
- Care/avoidance of risky substances such as alcohol
It sounds like a lot doesn’t it? It’s not. It’s just a series of small daily choices that, practiced over time, can absolutely change you/your life! It’s not a quick fix, but a wonderful way of living that far outweighs the alternative. It can resemble this:
- Contemplation of change and self-care followed by a willingness to take action.
- Incorporating daily small smart choices, like eating healthier and listening to your body’s response to food/beverage. This naturally helps the body and mind feel better (fewer digestive symptoms, aches/pains, increased clarity, energy, etc).
- Feeling better leads to the desire to exercise/move more (strength, increased energy, performance etc), which helps weight loss also. Or vice-versa, exercise followed by healthier eating brings about feeling better and weight loss.
- A healthier happier mind, body and spirit leads to greater social satisfaction (improved relationships, fun etc) and therefore an improved quality of life.
Who doesn’t want that? A wonderful cycle of growth along with belief and commitment, patience and persistence, kindness and honesty, and progress not perfection.
The path to health is simply a series of smart daily choices when added up over time become habits creating a healthy lifestyle that can change your life! Strengthening your mind helps strengthen your body. Strengthening your body helps strengthen your mind. It’s not just one or the other. Eating healthier will help you feel better, while feeling better will encourage you to eat healthier. When our bodies feel better, our minds do also, which brings clarity, helps us make progress and uplifts our spirits and social health. All of which make us even happier, it’s a WIN-WIN!
BE the CEO of your body. Listen to it’s messages. Really listen. Respect it by answering its call and taking care of what it needs. After all, you are the only person who is sure to be with yourself until the end. Make it easier and healthier for yourself, so you can experience more satisfaction and a better quality of life in the time in between!